Salut tout le monde!

Salut tout le monde!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Très, Très Jolie... Non?

Inspiration of the Day:

Anything French and fabulous.  Today, ma classe de français took a trip to the San Diego Museum of Art to see the Toulouse-Lautrec poster exhibit.  Before this field trip, I wasn't a huge T-Lautrec fan, but now, I see the beauty of his works.  In his posters, he uses bright, bold colors - but sparingly.  If you know me, you'd see how this appeals to me.  I love color, but I don't go crazy with it.  Usually I have a pop of color here or there and the rest of my outfit is neutral.  For example, today's outfit consisted of black lace-up boots, black opaque tights, distressed denim shorts, a black belt, a hot pink tank top, a long white cardigan, and a black knit hat.  If my outfits were made into paintings, they would closely resemble T-Lautrec's posters.  (For your information: the reason I'm saying T-Lautrec is because he signs his paintings and posters that way.  I thought it was cool.) 


This is one of T-Lautrec's most famous posters, and shows his style very nicely.

While I half-listened to our French-speaking docent while looking at T-Lautrec's expansive collection of posters and drawings, I thought about how fun it must have been to be in France in the late nineteenth century.  The girls (well, the dancers at the Cabaret) wore dresses that were tight across the bosoms and waist then pulled away from the body and flowed the rest of the way down.  T-Lautrec showed them as being primarily white, as I'm sure they were.  The girl's kicked like the Radio City Rockettes - high and in sync with the other dancers.  From all of this exposure to the art culture of nineteenth century France, I was inspired to add a little bit of French fashion to my wardrobe.  Modern French fashion is quite simply the coolest around: simple, gorgeous pieces put together in an unconventional way.


Perfect example of French-inspired street style.  Heidi Klum, here with her daughter, sports modest, simple clothes in an interesting and effortless way.  (For my opinion of Heidi Klum, stay tuned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment